Editor, Editorial and Publications Department
The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) is seeking a discerning and deft Editor to join its Editorial and Publications Department.
SIPRI is an independent international institute whose core mission is to undertake research and activities on security, conflict and peace. Established in 1966, SIPRI provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to policymakers, researchers, the media and the interested public.
The Editor position
SIPRI publishes a high volume of time-sensitive and world-class research on topics related to armaments, disarmament and international security. Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Editor will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy and exceptional quality of this work.
Primary tasks and responsibilities
The Editor will:
- Provide a wide spectrum of editorial and production services—including, but not limited to, substantive editing, line editing, copyediting, proofreading, fact checking, reference verification, text layout and formatting;
- Apply their skills to texts of varying complexity and length for a range of audiences and publication platforms in accordance with the SIPRI style guide;
- Manage multiple editorial projects from concept to publication under deadline;
- Engage in solutions-oriented collaboration with researchers and other colleagues; and
- Work closely with the Communications Department to reach SIPRI audiences in the service of the Institute’s mission.
The Editor position demands strong interpersonal, technical and project management skills. The right candidate will demonstrate shrewd editorial acumen and prowess.
The Editor should have the following experience and skills:
- English as a native language;
- At least three years of professional editorial experience, working with a style guide;
- Solid computer skills with experience using publishing software;
- Strong project management skills; and
- The ability to write well and observe detail; cooperate professionally; and maintain deadlines under pressure.
Desirable experience and skills include:
- The ability to create basic graphics;
- A good eye for the design of printed and online materials;
- Knowledge of HTML, content-management systems and web-based publishing;
- A degree, preferably in political science, international relations, English language, journalism or a natural science;
- Experience with communications and outreach work;
- An interest in SIPRI’s areas of research; and
- Working knowledge of other languages.
Please note that this is not a research, writing or content-creating position of any kind.
Contract terms and period
Starting 1 December 2021, this is a fixed-term, one-year, full-time temporary position based in Stockholm. Salary is negotiable and dependent on previous experience.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit the following:
- A one-page cover letter detailing your qualifications and specifying why you are applying for this position;
- A CV including your degrees, work experience, publications, language skills and contact details for two referees; and
- One sample of indicative editorial work with your track changes and comments visible; this should be accompanied by the sample’s corresponding editorial letter.
To be considered in the recruitment process, the application must be made via the form in the vacancies section of SIPRI’s website and not through any other external job sites.
Access the form via the ‘apply’ button below.
The closing date for applications is 24 October 2021 (CET).
Interviews are expected to be held in November.