As a reporter, you will work closely with your country editor to build membership of The Local Sweden and reach new audiences.
You will cover the relevant news about Sweden as well as explain to our readers how this news affects their lives. You will also explain practical information about living in Sweden and write features to help shed light on the Swedish language, the politics, the people and the culture.
You will also be part of an international team stretching from Sweden to Spain, working together to share ideas and information with the overall objective of growing membership across the network.
More than 6 million unique visitors a month, and more than 45,000 paying members, already engage with The Local’s news and information across our nine English-language sites.
What we expect from you:
- An exceptional level of written and spoken English (native speaker or equivalent).
- Fluency in Swedish: Our ideal candidate has been living in Sweden for more than a year.
- The ability to write clear, constructive and engaging news, explainers and features – and to quickly translate quotes and concepts from Swedish into correct and flowing English.
- A keen understanding of The Local and our audience.
- At least two years of experience in an editorial role.
- A knowledge of journalistic ethics and good practice.
- An excellent knowledge of Swedish society, politics and institutions.
- Flexibility: the ability to work some unsocial hours as needed, sometimes at short notice.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with using social media.
- Familiarity with online publishing, sound recording and photo editing are an advantage.
- A knowledge of major languages other than English and Swedish (particularly French, Italian, German or Spanish) would be useful.
- Ideally, you’re based in Stockholm, but we’ll also consider applicants based in other parts of Sweden, especially the major cities. This is so that you’re based where most of the big news stories happen, but we offer a flexible work-from-home-and-office policy.
This is you:
- Curiosity: you want to help explain Sweden to our readers and dig deep to find out how the country works.
- Imagination: you’re constantly thinking of new ways to approach stories, new ways to use online and social media, new ways to connect with our audiences.
- Intelligence: you have a sophisticated approach to news and information that will help The Local in Sweden broaden its readership while retaining loyal existing readers.
- Diligence: you love your work. If you start out on a task, you see it through to the end.
- You know your strengths, but are keen to learn and grow. We know there is no perfect candidate for this or any role, so if you think you don’t tick every item on the list, apply anyway. And if you think you bring skills we did not mention to the table, let us know.
Please note: Candidates must have the right to live and work in the European Union.
Making a commitment to our team will give you the chance to pursue an exciting, international journalism career. The job is full-time and permanent, with a six-month trial period. Pay competitive.
If you think you have what it takes, send your CV and a brief introduction (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Reporter position, The Local Sweden.
The Local is an English-language online news network, with sites in nine countries used by more than 6 million people each month.
With an entertaining blend of daily news, features and practical information, our sites have become essential reading for foreign citizens throughout Europe.