The Local seeks a reporter in France
The Local is currently seeking a reporter in Paris to join our growing team of internationally minded, driven, ambitious and clued-up journalists.
As a reporter, you will work closely with your country editor to build membership of The Local France and reach new audiences.
You will cover the relevant news about France as well as explain to our readers how this news affects their lives. You will also explain practical info about living in France to our readers and write features to help shed light on the French language, the people and the culture.
You will also be part of an international team stretching from Sweden to Spain, working together to break the boundaries of news.
More than 6 million unique visitors a month already engage with The Local’s news and information across our English-language sites.
What we expect from you:
- An exceptional level of written and spoken English (native speaker or equivalent).
- Fluency in French: Our ideal candidate has been living in France for more than a year.
- The ability to write clear, concise and engaging news stories, explainers and practical features.
- Experience of translating from French to English and an ability to turn flowing French prose into equally flowing English prose.
- At least two years’ experience in an editorial role.
- A knowledge of journalistic ethics and good practice.
- An excellent knowledge of French society, politics and institutions.
- Flexibility: the ability to work some unsocial hours as needed, sometimes at short notice.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with using social media.
- Familiarity with blogging, online publishing, sound recording and photo editing are an advantage.
- A knowledge of major languages other than English and French (particularly German, Italian and Spanish) would be useful.
This is you:
- Curiosity: you want to help explain France to our readers and dig deep to find out how the country works.
- Imagination: you’re constantly thinking of new ways to approach stories, new ways to use online and social media, new ways to connect with our audiences.
- Intelligence: you have a sophisticated approach to news and info that will help The Local in France broaden its readership while retaining loyal existing readers.
- Diligence: you love your work. If you start out on a task, you see it through to the end.
- Making a commitment to our team will give you the chance to pursue an exciting, international journalism career. The job is full time and is permanent (CDI contract). Pay competitive.
If you think you have what it takes, send your CV and a brief introduction (in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Reporter position, The Local France
The Local is an English-language online news network, with sites in nine countries used by more than 6 million people each month.
With an entertaining blend of daily news, features and practical info, our sites have become essential reading for foreign citizens.